- Optimizing Photoshop
- Setting General Preferences
- Modifying File Handling Preferences
- Working with Interface Preferences
- Working with Cursors Preferences
- Controlling Transparency & Gamut Preferences
- Working with Units & Rulers
- Working with Guides, Grid, Slices & Count
- Selecting Plug-Ins
- Selecting Scratch Disks
- Allocating Memory & Image Cache
- Working with Type
- Managing Libraries with the Preset Manager
- Customizing the Workspace
- Defining Shortcut Keys
- Creating a Customized User Interface
- Using Drawing Tablets
Working with Guides, Grid, Slices & Count
The Guides, Grid, Slices & Count preferences help keep a multi-layered document in proper order. For example, lining up buttons on a Web interface, or making sure specific design elements are exactly in place within the document window. The Guides option lets you select the color and style of the guides placed within a Photoshop document. Guides are placed within the image by dragging them from the horizontal or vertical Ruler bars in the active document. The Grid options let you decide on a color, style, and layout for Photoshop’s grid system. The Slices option defines the visible color of a slice, and whether Photoshop displays a number value for each slice. The Count option specifies color used to display the count number when you count objects in an image using the Count tool (Extended) (New!).
Work with Guides, Grid, Slices & Count Options
- Click the Edit (Win) or Photoshop (Mac) menu, and then point to Preferences.
- Click Guides, Grid, Slices & Count.
- Select the Guides options you want to use:
Color. Select a default color for displaying guides.
Style. Select a default (Lines or Dashed) for displaying guidelines.
- Select the Smart Guides options you want to use:
Color. Select a color for use with Smart Guides.
- Select the Grid options you want to use:
Color. Select a default color for displaying grids.
Style. Select a default style (Lines, Dashed Lines, or Dots) for displaying the grid.
Gridline Every. Enter a value for how often the grid lines appear within the active document.
Subdivisions. Enter a value for how many subdivisions (lines) appear between each main gridline.
- Select the Slices options you want to use:
Line Color. Select a default line color for displaying document slices.
Show Slice Numbers. Select the check box to display a number for each slice in the upper-left corner of the slice.
- Select a color for use with the Count tool (New!).
- Click OK.