- Exploring the Windows Desktop
- Pointing and Clicking
- Dragging and Dropping
- Moving a Window
- Scrolling a Window
- Resizing a Window
- Maximizing, Minimizing, and Closing a Window
- Using the Windows Start Menu
- Opening a Program
- Creating a New Shortcut on the Desktop
- Switching Between Programs
- Using Menus
- Using Toolbars
- Managing PC Resources with MY Computer
- Managing Windows with the Control Panel
- Changing the Size of Your Desktop
- Selecting a New Desktop Theme
- Personalizing the Desktop Background
- Changing the Color Scheme
- Setting up Additional Users
- Using a Screensaver
- Getting Help in Windows
This chapter is from the book
Creating a New Shortcut on the Desktop
Desktop icons those little pictures on your desktop function as shortcuts for opening programs and documents. Placing a shortcut on your desktop is an alternative to launching items from the Start menu.
- Click the Start button to display the Start menu.
- Click the All Programs button to open the Programs menu.
- Navigate to the icon for a specific program, and then right-click the icon.
- From the pop-up menu, select Send to, Desktop (Create Shortcut).