- Report Server Web and Windows Service
- Programmatic Interfaces
- Report Processor
- Command-Line Utilities
- Reporting Services Extensions
- Report Server Databases
- Scheduling and Delivery Processor
- Report Builder NEW in 2005
- Report Model Designer NEW in 2005
- Report Designer
- Report Manager
- SQL Server Management Studio NEW in 2005
- Reporting Services Configuration Tool NEW in 2005
- RSPrintClient Control NEW in 2005
- Performance Monitoring Objects
- WMI Provider
Report Builder NEW in 2005
One of the most requested features in the previous version of SSRS was an ability to develop end-user reports. Microsoft delivered this functionality in SSRS 2005.
Report Builder is a ClickOnce, ad hoc, end-user report authoring and publishing tool, which provides drag-and-drop, easy-to-use report design functionality.
As a typical ClickOnce application, Report Builder is deployed from a browser and executes on a client's computer. Report Builder does not require administrative permissions during installation and runs in a secure sandbox provided by .NET code access security.
To deploy Report Builder, click on the Report Builder button on the Report Manager's toolbar. Alternatively, you can use http://<server>/ReportServer/ReportBuilder/ReportBuilder.application URL to launch Report Builder. Report Builder is deployed to C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\<obfuscated directory>.
Before you can use Report Builder,
- You must have appropriate permissions, and be a member of the Report Consumer role or a custom role that includes the Consume Reports task.
- At least one report model has to be published.
- An Internet browser must allow you to download files.
Reports developed by Report Builder can be interpreted by Report Designer.