- Who You Gonna Call?
- Too Many Versions and Patches
- Office Knows Best
- No Attachments or Links in Outlook Email
- Macro SecurityReferences and Security
- Frames Around Inserted Images and Diagrams
- Cant Send More Than One Message to Junk Mail
- Cant Move Customized Toolbars to Another Computer
- Wheres My Stuff?
- Office Wizards Promise to Save Settings but May Not
- Email Setup Is Too Complex
- No Easy Synchronicity
10. Office Wizards Promise to Save Settings but May Not
The foregoing sections concern the settings that are so key to Office users. So how do you protect them and re-create them efficiently if you need to upgrade or reinstall Office?
The answer: Good luck.
There is a Save My Settings Wizard, but in the past it has failed me. It has not protected macros, AutoText, or AutoCorrect entries (which are stored in the Normal.dot template) or my very hard to re-create email signatures.
Using the Outlook backup utility also doesn’t necessarily protect your email signatures and if, like me, you use a nifty HTML file to contain a graphic signature as a GIF file, you’ll definitely need to relocate the signature graphic and re-link it to the email signature.
I am still not clear on exactly what these wizards save, but I back up my files manually. I don’t like surprises.