- Web Sites Are Supposed to Make Things Easier, Arent They?
- Standardization, Please!
- Requiring Unnecessary Features or Plug-ins for Navigation
- Silent Failures for Unavailable Browser Features
- Failing Completely for Unavailable Features or Unsupported Browsers/Versions
- Browsers Not Offering Per Window or Easily Reversible Setting Changes
- Companies Registering <sitename> But Not <http://www.sitename>
- Making Information Hard to Find
- Making It Hard to Find or Select Among Products
- Being Impossible to Contact
- Putting Information Only in PDF or Document Format, Not in HTML or at Least Text Files
- Having No-Value-Added Click Here to Enter Splash Pages
- Check Your Site for Stupidity
Having No-Value-Added ’Click Here to Enter’ Splash Pages
Other than your web designers or somebody in your marketing department, who thinks anybody outside your company cares about the nifty photograph or cute graphic that, along with a "click here to enter" note, is your site’s top page? Don’t you understand that wasting my time and making me work harder to get at your site (not to mention wasting bandwidth) just inclines me to go somewhere else?
If you absolutely must waste everyone’s time with an "Enter here" splash page, please at least follow these rules:
- Don’t make it an impossible-to-skip Flash page.
- Don’t put the "Skip Intro" link only at the bottom, in tiny type.