Answers from Chapter One
1. The answer is D. Make sure that you have a copy, which you can buy through the PMI website. If there is any question as to the correctness of an answer, the answer should conform to materials found in the PMBOK.
2. The answer is C. This is the exact quote from the PMBOK. You now have gotten one question correct on the exam.
3. The answer is D. Be careful when you are taking the exam. If two look correct, then you should answer with the PMBOK in mind. The final reference for the correctness of answers lies in knowing how the answer was explained in the PMBOK.
4. The answer is A. You must pick an answer for all of the questions on the test before you are allowed to finish.
5. The answer is C. Take time to read all the answers even if you are sure that the answer under the letter A is the correct one. You may find that there will be an even better answer in the four-part list.
6. The answer is C. No matter how complex the question, it does not get you any more points than the simplest question. Remember this as you take the examination. Although you may get some satisfaction from working out a complex question, the simple definition of a project is worth just as much.
7. The answer is D. Although all of the other answers may be true, the temporary nature of the project is one of the major defining characteristics of a project.
8. The answer is B. PMI was founded in the late sixties.
9. The answer is C. The American National Standards Institute is the body that governs standardization of information in the U.S. This is important because this is the first time that any document or book has been accepted as the single standard for project management in the United States.
10. The answer is B. The phase approach is one of the ways in this book used to prepare for the examination.
11. The answer is B. Each of the knowledge areas has several subdivisions that are process areas.
12. The answer is D. It is helpful to know what the three areas are in each of the processes, and this can be found in the third chapter of PMBOK.
13. The answer is C. Use parts of both. In this book we will be offering various ways to approach the knowledge you need to pass the test. For some people, one model fits their cognitive process; for other people, another model is best. In this book you get a variety of ways to understand, memorize, and use information for the exam in the future. By using a combination of the two, we think you'll have the best chance of passing the exam and going on to become a PMP.
14. The answer is C. On the examination, 37% of the questions will focus on planning.
15. The answer is A. You have the best short-term memory right after the course, so you should take the test as soon as possible after you have finished the course. The longer you wait, the more studying you will have to do to pass the exam.