What Do Identity Thieves Do?
Identity thieves take your personal information and use it to harm you in a number of ways including:
- Gaining access to your credit card account, bank account, or brokerage account.
- Opening new credit card accounts in your name.
- Opening new bank accounts in your name.
- Buying cars and taking out car loans in your name.
- Buying cell phones in your name.
- Using your name when committing crimes.
Although you may not be responsible for fraudulent charges, the damage to your credit as reflected in your credit report can affect your employment, insurance applications, and loan applications as well as any future credit arrangements you may wish to establish.