- FAQ 94: What is a plug-in?
- FAQ 95: Do I use plugin or plug-in?
- FAQ 96: What is the plug-in manifest file (plugin.xml)?
- FAQ 97: How do I make my plug-in connect to other plug-ins?
- FAQ 98: What are extensions and extension points?
- FAQ 99: What is an extension point schema?
- FAQ 100: How do I find out more about a certain extension point?
- FAQ 101: When does a plug-in get started?
- FAQ 102: Where do plug-ins store their state?
- FAQ 103: How do I find out the install location of a plug-in?
- FAQ 104: What is the classpath of a plug-in?
- FAQ 105: How do I add a library to the classpath of a plug-in?
- FAQ 106: How can I share a JAR among various plug-ins?
- FAQ 107: How do I use the context class loader in Eclipse?
- FAQ 108: Why doesnt Eclipse play well with Xerces?
- FAQ 109: What is a plug-in fragment?
- FAQ 110: Can fragments be used to patch a plug-in?
- FAQ 111: What is a configuration?
- FAQ 112: How do I find out whether the Eclipse Platform is running?
- FAQ 113: Where does System.out and System.err output go?
- FAQ 114: How do I locate the owner plug-in from a given class?
- FAQ 115: How does OSGi and the new runtime affect me?
- FAQ 116: What is a dynamic plug-in?
- FAQ 117: How do I make my plug-in dynamic enabled?
- FAQ 118: How do I make my plug-in dynamic aware?
FAQ 111: What is a configuration?
A configuration is the set of plug-ins available in a particular instance of the Eclipse Platform. A given installation of Eclipse may contain hundreds or even thousands of plug-ins. More than one Eclipse-based application can share this same install location, but they don’t always want to use all the same plug-ins. When Eclipse is started, a configurator determines what subset of the installed pool of plug-ins will be used for that particular instance of the platform. By default, all installed plug-ins will be in the configuration, but a configuration can be customized to contain different groups of plug-ins. Go to Help > Software Updates > Manage Configuration to see and modify what plug-ins are in your configuration.
FAQ 243 What is the minimal Eclipse configuration?