- What Has Your State Government or Local School System Got to Do with Homeschool?
- Determining the Legal Requirements in Your State
- Determining the Legal Requirements for Your School System or Local Government
- Notifying the State About Your Homeschool
- Documenting Legal Requirements for Your Homeschool
- Monitoring Legal Activity Regarding Homeschooling
- The Absolute Minimum
Notifying the State About Your Homeschool
All states except those in the "Least Regulation" category require that you provide some sort of notification that you are homeschooling your children. Make sure that you understand the type of notification you are required to provide. Some states have specific forms you must complete, while others just require "notification." This notification is typically due well before the school year starts or soon thereafter. Your state's regulations will tell you where, how, and when this notification is required. After you file your notification, make sure you keep a copy and can prove when and to whom you submitted it.