Trusted Computing Platforms, the Next Security Solution
- Why Are Trusted Platforms Being Developed?
- The Trusted Computing Platform Alliance and the TCPA Specification
- What Is a Trusted Platform?
- Basic Concepts in the Trusted Platform Model
- Basic Functionalities of a Trusted Platform
- Benefits of Using Trusted Computing Technology
- Summary of TCPA Technology
An important new technology has recently been developed that will revolutionize trust and security for online transactions. Based on the concept of incorporating a hardware "root of trust" within PCs and other platforms, it allows users to assess the trustworthiness of computers with which they interact. This article, abstracted by Dr. Siani Pearson from a new book on the subject, explains the key concepts and the exciting potential of Trusted Computing Platforms (often abbreviated to Trusted Platforms).
This article covers the following topics:
Why are Trusted Platforms being developed?
What are the Trusted Computing Platform Alliance (TCPA) and the TCPA Specification?
What is a Trusted Platform?
Basic concepts in the TCPA model
The main functionalities of a Trusted Platform
Benefits of using Trusted Platform technology
Summary of TCPA technology