- What Is the ZODB?
- Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS)
- Why Are Database Adapters Necessary?
- Which Database Adapter Do I Need?
- Connecting MySQL and Zope
- Gadfly—Zope's Integrated Demo Relational Database
- Introduction to SQL
- Using Z SQL Methods to Submit SQL Statements
Which Database Adapter Do I Need?
Because there are differences between the interfaces of the various RDBMS by which applications can connect to the database, each database needs a special database adapter. Therefore, you cannot use a MySQL database adapter for Zope if you want to connect to a Sybase database.
The Zope community already provides you with database adapters for the most-used databases. You can find those adapters on the download page of Zope.org under the category External Access.
For example, if you have a MySQL database, you need to download the MySQL database adapter, which is called something like ZMySQLDA-1.1.4-nonbin.tar.gz. If you want to connect Zope to an Oracle database, you will have to download the appropriate file (for example, ZOracleDA-2.2.0b1-src.tgz).