- Using the AARP App
- Finding Interesting Accommodations with the Airbnb App
- Using Foursquare to Enhance Your Travel Choices
- Exchanging Homes Is a Great Way to See the World
- Arranging Travel Using the Kayak App
- Finding Your Way Using the iPad Maps App
- SeatGuru by TripAdvisor
- Communicating in a Foreign Country Is Easy When You Use Talking Translator
- Getting Travel Advice from Others Using TripAdvisor
- Getting a Ride Using the Uber App
Arranging Travel Using the Kayak App
Kayak has the ideal app to help you find the best way to travel to your next destination. Through Kayak’s app, you can book flights and hotels, reserve cars, and maintain your travel details all in one place. Kayak searches the travel options of many airlines and then refers you directly to the airline to make the purchase. A notable exception is Southwest, which doesn’t participate in any of these apps. If you want to fly Southwest, you need to use its website to search for flights.
Search the App Store for Kayak. Tap Get, and then tap Install to download it. Open Kayak by tapping its icon on your screen.
- The example in this task shows searching for a round-trip flight from New York’s JFK airport to San Francisco, departing April 10 and returning May 10. There are several easy ways to modify your search. You can choose different dates, locations, and cabin options.
- One option is to choose seating other than economy. Your choices range from economy to first class; tap the CABIN line to access other seating options.
After you make all your choices, tap Find Flights to find your outbound flight.
- This search yields round-trip flights starting at $337 (Delta).
- It is important to consider the time enroute for long flights. Kayak lists this information for each flight. It is better to spend your time exploring rather than sitting in an airplane.
In this example, the second Delta flight, departing JFK at 2:30 p.m. on April 10, was chosen along with the return flight departing San Francisco at 1:30 p.m. on May 10. You can see that each flight is nonstop and travels across the country in the shortest time.
- The next screen contains a summary of your flight choice. The summary has two options for next steps: You can either tap the upper-right corner to email the information to yourself or fellow travelers, or tap Book Now to go to the airline website to buy the tickets.
For this example, tap Book Now to buy the tickets. At this point, you leave the Kayak app and go directly to Delta’s website. When at the Delta website, you can proceed to buy your tickets, choose seat assignments, complete passenger information, as well as add on other optional items such as baggage fees and other extras.
You can use this same process to search for hotels and car rentals to add to your itinerary, or you can book only hotels and a car rental if you don’t need flights. Kayak also has a My Trips option that enables you to save your travel itinerary in one place. Time to pick a destination, book your flight, and start exploring!