- Using the AARP App
- Finding Interesting Accommodations with the Airbnb App
- Using Foursquare to Enhance Your Travel Choices
- Exchanging Homes Is a Great Way to See the World
- Arranging Travel Using the Kayak App
- Finding Your Way Using the iPad Maps App
- SeatGuru by TripAdvisor
- Communicating in a Foreign Country Is Easy When You Use Talking Translator
- Getting Travel Advice from Others Using TripAdvisor
- Getting a Ride Using the Uber App
Finding Interesting Accommodations with the Airbnb App
Thinking about taking a trip? Have a desire to experience things a bit differently from the norm? Try Airbnb! This app gives you access to a huge number of interesting options of places to stay when you are traveling. Through Airbnb you can rent everything from a couch, to a room, to an entire estate. We recently used Airbnb to book a house in New Orleans for 2 months. It was easy and we were able to find what appears to be the perfect fit for our needs (an extra bedroom so the children and grandchildren can join us and a place that will welcome Bubba, our dog).
Open the App Store by tapping its icon on your home screen.
Type airbnb in the Search field in the upper-right corner. Note that this app is designed for the iPad. Occasionally, you will want to access an app designed for iPhones on your iPad. See the note on this page for details.
You can use the options on this screen to review the details about this app and read reviews from other users. Tap Get when you are ready to download and install the app. Tap Open to open the app.
The opening page gives an overview of Airbnb that you can access by swiping to the left. I chose to tap Skip in the upper-right corner to go directly to the App.
The opening page shows several options for travel using Airbnb. You can tap any to see options in that city or area.
Here you see several ways to access information on Airbnb. I tapped Search for just what was available for my upcoming trip to New Orleans.
In the Search box, I typed New Orleans. Various locations related to New Orleans appeared in the search results. I tapped New Orleans, LA United States to see the broadest selection of results.
- My results showed more than 1000 different options for staying in New Orleans were avalable.
You can further refine your search by tapping the map option at the top.
- The map shows options for rent by location, as well as prices.
Tap Filters at the top right to drill down your search even further.
The Filters page enables you to search for the dates you want to travel, the type of listing you are looking for, price, and just how many guests it needs to accommodate. As you scroll down, you can further search for amenities, beds, bedrooms, and bathrooms. Using these filters, you can narrow down the properties to see only the ones that fit your criteria. (I chose January 15, 2016 to March 15, 2016, a whole house, for four guests.) Then tap Apply Filters to see what is available.
- I found 8 homes that met my criteria and chose to take a closer look at the New Happiness option, listed for $2,685. I scrolled up the listing to view further details.
After tapping a listing, scroll down to find a thorough description, many photos, a biography of the owner, and reviews. The property I chose has 11 five-star reviews.
I scrolled down to the Reviews section and tapped See More to see what people had to say about their stay in this home.
There were 11 reviews for this rental. The reviews are listed in chronological order from most recent to oldest. Each gave a good description of what to expect when renting this home. Tap the X to close the review list.
Tap See All Amenities to be sure that the property has wireless Internet and other things you find essential to a long-term stay.
If you find the property meets your needs, tap Request to Book at the upper right to move forward.
- After requesting to book, Airbnb reviews all aspects of your choice to ensure it is truly what you are looking for.
Scroll down to access payment options.