Setting Up Your Cellular Data Connection
If you have an iPad with cellular data capabilities, you can set it up to use AT&T, Verizon, or any other compatible network. You can purchase a monthly data plan, or purchase service in shorter increments. If you have previously set up a plan, you cannot complete these steps again. You need to contact your service provider directly to change or cancel your plan.
- Open the Settings app and tap Cellular Data on the left.
- Turn on Cellular Data. In addition, turn on Enable LTE for a faster connection.
Tap View Account.
- You have three options to set up an account with AT&T. (Other carriers may offer different options.) The first one is to set up a completely new account. If you choose this, skip to step 8.
- Another option is to add your iPad’s data plan as an additional service to your existing AT&T plan. Use this if you are already an AT&T customer. You will be prompted for your mobile phone number, zip code, passcode, and social security number to complete the setup.
The Transfer Service From Another iPad option is for those who already have an iPad data plan, and want to transfer it from an old iPad to a new one.
- Choose a data plan that best fits your needs.
Tap and swipe up to scroll down. This screen consists of a long form that you need to fill out with your personal and payment information to complete the setup of your account. When you are done, you have to approve the service agreement and confirm your purchase. Still, it beats going to the mall and dealing with a salesperson at a mobile phone store, right?
It might take a few more minutes for your cellular data service to activate. After establishing service, you can return to this section of the Settings app to view your usage and modify your plan. Then you can see your pay details and status.