After you set up Google+, the main Google+ screen appears as you saw on Figure 5. The latest message from one of your Google+ friends appears at the top of the screen.
- The orange menu bar appears at the top of the screen, so you can view Google+ pages associated with your account, find people in your Contacts list you can add as Google+ friends, see how many updates you have, and access the menu.
- Below the menu bar, the Everything bar indicates that you’re looking at an aggregated list of news updates from all your Google+ friends.
- The latest updates appear as tiles on the screen. Swipe up and down the screen to read more updates. When you swipe down, the menu and Everything bars disappear; when you swipe up, the menu and Everything bars reappear at the top of the screen.
Tap a tile to open the post on the entire screen, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7 The Add a Comment field appears at the bottom of the screen, and the Send icon appears to the right of the field.
- Tap the Add a Comment field and use the keyboard to type your message to comment on the post.
- Tap the Send icon.
- Tap the Back touch button to return to the Google+ home screen.
Tap the Everything bar to open the Google+ menu shown in Figure 8 that shows a variety of options for accessing different parts of Google+.
Figure 8 The three most discussed topics appear as the first three entries in the Explore list.
- Tap the Search for People, Pages, Posts field to type a search term. Google+ shows a results page that shows any Google+ friends, posts, and/or photo tags that meet your search criteria.
- By default, you view posts from all your “circles,” which are groups of your Google+ friends that you can modify. View members of only one circle—for example, only people in the Family category—by tapping My Circles to see the list of circle categories.
- Tap the circle that contains users whose posts you want to view. After you tap the circle, the screen refreshes and displays the latest posts from Google+ users in that circle.
- If you belong to a Google+ community, which is a group of users that have a common interest, you can view posts from Google+ users within a specific community by tapping My Communities to see a list of communities you belong to.
- Tap the community that contains users whose posts you want to view. After you tap the community, the screen refreshes and displays the latest posts from Google+ users in that community.
- In the Explore section, you can tap a topic Google+ has identified as popular among your friends, see what else Google+ thinks are hot topics, and see what’s happening on Google+ in locations near you.
- At the menu bar at the bottom of the screen, you can add a photo, location, or event to your new Google+ post.
- View new and recent notifications in the Notifications list by tapping the Notifications icon, which is the outline of a bell. The number of new notifications you have received, such as a new post in a group, appears next to the Notification icon as an orange box with the number of new messages inside it. If there are no new messages, no box appears.