Use the Phone Keyboard
Your Fire phone has a virtual or onscreen keyboard for those times when you need to enter text. Some applications automatically show the keyboard when you need to enter text. If it does not appear, touch the area where you want to type; the keyboard slides up, ready for use.
Turn your Fire phone sideways to get a landscape keyboard. The landscape keyboard has larger keys and is easier to type on. Let’s go through the main points of the keyboard.
- Tap the Shift key to make the next letter you type a capital letter. To make all letters capitals (or CAPS), touch and hold or double-tap the Shift key to engage CAPS Lock. Touch Shift again to disengage CAPS Lock.
- To backspace or delete what you typed, touch the key with the left-pointing arrow that has an X on it.
Tap the Symbols key to type numbers or symbols on the virtual keyboard.
If the word you are typing is highlighted, touch space or period to select it. If you can see the word in the list but it is not highlighted, touch the word to select it.
- When on the Number and Symbols screen, tap the tilde (~) and less than (<) key to see extra symbols.
Tap the ABC key to return to the regular keyboard.
To enter an accented character, touch and hold any vowel, or C, N, or S keys. A small window opens enabling you to select an accented or alternative character. To reveal other alternative characters, touch and hold any other letter, number, or symbol.
Dictate Instead of Typing
Your Fire phone can turn your voice into text. It uses a speech recognition service, which means that you must have a connection to the cellular network or a Wi-Fi network to use this feature. A Microphone icon appears on the keyboard whenever the keyboard is up, except sometimes when you are entering confidential credentials such as log-in information.
Tap the Microphone key. The microphone pops up.
- Wait for the tone, and then start speaking what you want to be typed. You can speak the punctuation by saying “comma,” “question mark,” “exclamation point,” or “period.”
Tap Done after you have spoken what you want to type. Your text is placed in the text field.
After you enter text, you can edit it by cutting, copying, or pasting the text. Here is how to select the text.
- Tap and hold the text you want to select.
- Move the markers to highlight the desired text.
Tap Cut or Copy.
Manually Correct Misspelled Words
You might occasionally use an incorrect spelling of a word for a sentence that is not autocorrected. This tends to happen when a given word is correctly spelled but is incorrect for the sentence at hand. Due you understand? With a little finesse, you can manually edit those words yourself.
- Tap the text you want to correct. Do not hold. A cursor and handle appear.
Drag the cursor to the letter(s) that are misspelled. Now you can backspace and correct the word.