- Starting Up the Terminal
- Getting Started
- Building Pipelines
- Running Commands as Superuser
- Finding Help
- Moving around the Filesystem
- Manipulating Files and Folders
- System Information Commands
- Searching and Editing Text Files
- Dealing with Users and Groups
- Getting Help on the Command Line
- Searching for Man Files
- Using Wildcards
- Executing Multiple Commands
- Moving to More Advanced Uses of the Command Line
Searching for Man Files
If you aren’t sure which command or application you need to use, you can try searching the man files.
man -k foo: This searches the man files for foo. Try
man -k nautilusto see how this works.
man -f foo: This searches only the titles of your system’s man files. Try
man -f unity, for example.