File History makes it easy to locate the backed-up copies of your files and restore them. You can restore files to the same folder where they were located when File History backed them up, but you can also choose to restore files to a different location if you prefer.
Restoring Files to the Original Location
You can browse your backed-up files and easily restore one or more of them to the original file location.
From File History, tap Restore Personal Files.
- Double-click on a folder to browse files inside the folder.
- Tap the up arrow to go back to the parent folder.
- Select a previous path from the drop-down to quickly navigate to that path.
- Tap the Gear icon, and then tap the View menu to change the view.
- Tap Previous Version to see an earlier version of backed-up files.
- Tap Next Version to see later versions of backed-up files.
Select one or more files or folders, and tap Restore to restore them to the original location.
Resolving File Conflicts
If you attempt to restore a file to your local drive and that file already exists in the same location, File History enables you to overwrite the existing file, skip the file restore, or view information about the original file and the backed-up file so that you can decide what you would like to do.
Tap Restore to restore one or more existing files.
- Tap Replace to overwrite the existing file or files.
- Tap Skip to skip the file or files.
Tap Compare Info for Both Files if only one conflict exists or Let Me Decide for Each File if multiple conflicts exist to compare the files and select those that you want to keep.
- Check a location to keep all files in that location. (Files from the backup are listed on the left.)
- Check individual files to keep specific files.
- Check Skip to skip all files that have the same date and size.
Tap Continue to perform the actions you selected.
Restoring to a Different Location
If you would like to restore files to a location other than their original location, you can easily do that. This is useful in cases where you want an additional copy of a file on your local machine or if you want to restore files to a USB thumb drive or another removable device.
- Select the files or folders you want to restore.
Tap and hold on one of the files to show the context menu, and tap Restore To on the context menu.
- Select a location where you would like to restore the files or folders.
Tap Select Folder to restore the files.