- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Hiding Files and Folders
If you want to hide files and folders for added privacy purposes, you can do it by setting two separate options: one to set the option to hide specific files and folders, and the other to set a general folder option to show or hide files and folders. If you set the option to hide specific files and folders and the Show hidden files and folders option is set, the hidden files and folders appear transparent. If the general option is set to Do not show hidden files and folders, the hidden files and folders are actually hidden. The only way to view them again is to set the general option to Show hidden files and folders again. Anyone can show hidden files and folders, so it shouldn’t be used for security purposes.
Show or Hide Hidden Files and Folders
- In the desktop, click or tap the File Explorer button on the taskbar.
- Select the files or folders you want to hide or unhide.
- Click or tap the Hide selected items button on the View tab.
Select the Hidden items check box on the View tab to show hidden files or folders. To hide hidden items, clear the check box.
The hidden files or folders appear transparent.
To unhide hidden files or folders, select them, and then click or tap the Hide selected items button on the View tab.