- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
When you organize the contents of a folder, disk, or the desktop, you might find files and folders that you no longer need. You can delete these items or remove them permanently. If you delete a file or folder from the desktop or from the hard disk, it goes into the Recycle Bin. The Recycle Bin, located on your desktop, is a temporary storage area for deleted files. The Recycle Bin stores all the items you delete from your hard disk so that if you accidentally delete an item, you can remove it from the Recycle Bin to restore it. Be aware that if you delete a file from a removable disk or use the Permanently delete command, it is permanently deleted, not stored in the Recycle Bin. The files in the Recycle Bin do occupy room on your PC computer, so you need to empty it to free up space.
Delete Files and Folders
- In the desktop, click or tap the File Explorer button on the taskbar.
- Select the files and folders you want to delete.
Click or tap the Delete button arrow on the Home tab, and then click Recycle or Permanently delete.
If prompted, click or tap Yes to confirm the deletion and place the items in the Recycle Bin.
- Enable delete confirmation. Click or tap the Delete button arrow on the Home tab, and then click or tap Show recycle confirmation.
In the desktop, right-click or tap-hold the Recycle Bin icon, and then click or tap Empty Recycle Bin.
Your device permanently removes the items.
Restore Files and Folders
- In the desktop, double-click or double-tap the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop.
- Select the item or items you want to restore.
Click or tap the Restore this item or Restore all items button on the Manage tab.
- Empty Recycle Bin. Click or tap the Empty Recycle Bin button on the Manage tab, and then click or tap Yes to confirm.
- If prompted, click or tap Yes to confirm the restore or click or tap No to cancel it.