- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing This PC
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Customizing the Navigation Pane
The Navigation pane provides links to commonly used drives and folders to reduce the number of clicks or taps it takes to locate a file or folder. File Explorer provides a default list of favorites, libraries, homegroups, and networks in the Navigation pane. You can customize the list of favorites for your own purposes. You can move current links, add or rename folders, or remove an item. If the Navigation pane gets cluttered, you can restore it back to the original default items. You can also set Navigation pane options to show all folders like the Folder list and automatically expand the folder list to the current folder.
Customize the Navigation Pane
- Move a link. Drag an item in the Navigation pane to a higher or lower position in Favorites.
- Add a link. Drag an item from its original location to a position in the Navigation pane in Favorites.
- Rename a link. Right-click or tap-hold the link in Favorites, and then click or tap Rename. Type a new name, and then press Enter. The original folder or search is not renamed, only the Navigation link.
Remove a link. Right-click or tap-hold the link in Favorites, and then click or tap Remove. The original folder or search is not removed, only the Navigation link.
- Restore default links. Right-click or tap-hold the Favorites link in the Navigation pane, and then click or tap Restore favorite links.
- Show all folders like the folders list. Click or tap the Options button on the View tab, click or tap Change folder and search options, select the Show all folders check box on the General tab, and then click or tap OK.
Automatically expand the folder list to the current folder. Click or tap the Options button on the View tab, click or tap Change folder and search options, select the Automatically expand to current folder check box on the General tab, and then click or tap OK.