Creating Virtual Private Network Connections
With the MacBook, you have many different ways to connect to networks wherever you are. Many companies, however, only give you access to certain resources when you’re connected directly to their networks. This puts a small crimp on the idea of “working on the go.”
To get around the access problem, many organizations provide Virtual Private Network (VPN) servers. Using a VPN server, your MacBook can use its current network connection (wireless, wired, or using a WWAN card) to securely connect to your company’s network. You are able to access all of the same resources that you see when you’re sitting in your office chair.
Creating a VPN Connection
Mavericks supports three types of VPN connections—L2TP, PPTP, and Cisco IPSec. You need to find out from your network administrator which option is right for you, along with the settings you need to make the connection.
Create a new VPN connection by opening the System Preferences and clicking the Network icon.
- Click the + button at the bottom of the interfaces pane.
- Choose VPN as the interface.
- Set the VPN type to the type specified by your network administrator.
- Enter a meaningful name for the VPN service, such as “Work VPN.”
- A new VPN interface is created and added to the list of network interfaces. Make sure the VPN interface is highlighted.
- Configuration options appear on the right side of the network preference panel. Enter the server address and account information provided by your network administrator.
- Click the Show VPN Status in Menu Bar checkbox. This adds a menu item to the menu bar so you can quickly connect and disconnect from a VPN.
Click the Authentication Settings button.
- You are prompted for a method of authentication. Enter a password or choose one of the other available options as directed by your network administrator
- If you have been given specific network settings by your network administrator, click the Advanced button and enter the options as described in “Manually Configuring Network Settings.”
Click the Connect button to connect to the VPN.