Password Protecting Your iPad
Password protecting your iPad is a great way to make sure that someone else can’t access your information or use your iPad.
Tap the Settings icon on the Home screen.
- Tap General from the list of settings on the left.
Tap Passcode Lock.
- Tap Turn Passcode On to activate this feature. You then are prompted to enter a passcode.
- Type in a four-digit passcode that you can easily remember. Write it down and store it in a safe place—you can run into a lot of trouble if you forget it, most likely needing to erase your iPad and restore it from your last backup.
- You will be asked to re-enter your passcode.
- Tap the Require Passcode button and choose the delay before a passcode is required. If you choose anything other than Immediately, someone else using your iPad can work on it for that period of time before needing to enter the code.
- Tap Simple Passcode to switch from using a 4-digit number to a longer password that can include both letters and numbers, if you want additional security; otherwise, your password will consist of 4 digits. Tap Turn Passcode On.
- Turn off Siri to disable the ability to use Siri from the Lock screen.
Turn on Erase Data if you want to erase the iPad data after 10 failed passcode attempts.
Press the Wake/Sleep button to confirm your new settings work. Then press the Home button and Slide to Unlock. The Enter Passcode screen displays.