- Finding Information Using Spotlight
- Finding Information in the Spotlight Window
- Filtering Spotlight Results
- Grouping and Sorting Spotlight Results
- Working with Spotlight Results
- Setting Spotlight Preferences
- Searching for Files Using the Find Window
- Searching for Hard to Find Information
- Working with Find Window Results
- Creating and Using Smart Folders
- Getting Help While You Work
- Getting Help Using Spotlight
Creating and Using Smart Folders
A Smart folder is a self-updating folder that performs a search based on the search criteria you set and save in the Search dialog box. You can create a Smart folder by specifying a search in the Search dialog box and then saving it as a saved search. For example, if you set up a search for Last Opened and This week, and saved it as a Smart folder. In the Sidebar, you can click the Smart folder to perform the smart search, or Control-click it and click Show Search Criteria to edit it.
Create and Use a Smart Folder
- Click the File menu, and then click New Smart Folder.
- Use the Add (+) button to specify the search criteria you want to save as a Smart folder.
Click the Save button.
- Type a name for the Smart folder.
Specify the location where you want to save the Smart folder.
The default location is the Saved Searches folder.
- Select or clear the Add To Sidebar check box to either add or not add the Smart folder to the sidebar.
To use a Smart folder, click the Smart folder icon on the Sidebar, or navigate to the Saved Searches folder, and then double-click it.
- The Saved Searches folder is located in the Library folder, which is located in the Home folder.
Edit a Smart Folder
- Navigate to the Smart folder you want to edit; you can click Smart folder in the Sidebar to select to display it.
- Click the Action menu, and then click Show Search Criteria.
- Change the search criteria you want to modify.
Click the Action menu, and then click Hide Search Criteria.