- Using the Pages Panel
- Inserting Pages
- Navigating Pages
- Changing the Page Size
- Deleting Pages
- Moving Pages
- Working with Page Spreads
- Rotating Page Spreads
- Creating Master Pages
- Working with Master Pages
- Working with Page Numbers and Sections
- Working with Chapter Numbers
- Creating and Using Text Variables
- Creating a Book
- Managing Books
- Creating a Table of Contents
- Starting an Index
- Creating an Index Entry
- Creating an Index
- Managing an Index
Creating a Book
Instead of creating long InDesign documents, you can break them up into smaller documents, like chapters, and then create a book to bring them all together. A book is not a document. It simply keeps track of all the documents in the book and coordinates document page numbers, colors, and styles. When you create a new book or open an existing book, the Book panel appears, displaying the book name in the title tab. In the Book panel, you can add, remove, move, or open documents.
Create a New Book
- Click the File menu, point to New, and then click Book.
- Enter a name for the book file.
- Navigate to the location where you want to save the book.
- Click Save.
The tab for the Book panel displays the name of the book.
Open an Existing Book
- Click the File menu, and then click Open.
- Navigate to the location where the book you want to open is stored.
- Select the book you want to open.
The Book panel opens.
Add, Remove, Move, or Open Documents in a Book
- Open the book you want to edit.
Do any of the following:
- Add a Document. Click the Add Document button on the panel, locate the document you want to add, and then click Open.
- Remove a Document. Select a document in the Book panel, and then click the Remove Document button at the bottom of the panel.
- Move a Document. Drag a document to a new position in the Book panel.
- Open a Document. Double-click a document in the Book panel. An open book icon appears, indicating the book is open.
- View a Document in Explorer or Finder. Select a document in the Book panel, click the Options button, and then click Reveal in Explorer (Win) or Finder (Mac).
- Click the Save Book button on the panel.
- Click the Close button to close the book.