Configuring Options from the Charms Bar
In previous versions of Windows, you configured various system options from the Control Panel. Although the Control Panel still exists in Windows 8 (it’s accessible from the All Apps screen), many common options are configurable from a new Charms bar.
The Charms bar slides in from the right side of the screen when you move your mouse to either the top-right or bottom-right corner of any screen. You can also open the Charms bar by pressing Windows+C.
Configure Windows 8 from the Charms Bar
The Charms bar is context-sensitive. That is, the detailed options available vary from program to program. When you open the Charms bar from the Start screen, you see Windows-specific options; when you open it from other applications, you see options specific to that program.
- To search your computer for apps and documents, click or tap Search.
- To share the content of the current app with others, via email and other services, click or tap Share.
- To return to the Start screen from any other location, click or tap Start.
- To print the current document, or to configure any external devices connected to your computer, click or tap Devices.
- To access and configure various Windows and application settings, and to shut down your computer, click or tap Settings.