- Formatting Text
- Formatting Text for Emphasis
- Selecting Text with Similar Formatting
- Setting Formatting Options
- Finding and Replacing Formatting
- Finding and Replacing Custom Formatting
- Changing Paragraph Alignment
- Changing Line Spacing
- Changing Character Spacing
- Displaying Rulers
- Setting Paragraph Tabs
- Setting Paragraph Indents
- Creating Bulleted and Numbered Lists
- Applying Borders and Shading
- Hiding Text
Setting Paragraph Indents
Quickly indent lines of text to precise locations from the left or right margin with the horizontal ruler. Indent the first line of a paragraph (called a first-line indent) as books do to distinguish paragraphs. Indent the second and subsequent lines of a paragraph from the left margin (called a hanging indent) to create a properly formatted bibliography. Indent the entire paragraph any amount from the left and right margins (called left indents and right indents) to separate quoted passages.
Indent Paragraph Lines Precisely
- Click the View tab, and then select the Ruler check box to display the Ruler.
Click the paragraph or select multiple paragraphs to indent:
- To change the left indent of the first line, drag the First-line Indent marker.
- To change the indent of the second and subsequent lines, drag the Hanging Indent marker.
- To change the left indent for all lines, drag the Left Indent marker.
- To change the right indent for all lines, drag the Right Indent marker.
As you drag a marker, the dotted guideline helps you accurately position the indent. You can also press and hold Alt to see a measurement in the ruler.
Indent a Paragraph
- Click the paragraph, or select multiple paragraphs to indent.
- Click the Home tab.
- Click the Increase Indent button or Decrease Indent button to move the paragraph right or left one-half inch.
Set Indentation Using the Tab Key
- Click the File tab, and then click Options.
- In the left pane, click Proofing, and then click AutoCorrect Options.
- Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
- Select the Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces check box.
- Click OK.