- Locating and Inserting an Online Picture
- Inserting a Picture
- Inserting a Picture Screen Shot
- Adding an Artistic Style to a Picture
- Adding a Quick Style to a Picture
- Applying a Shape to a Picture
- Applying a Border to a Picture
- Applying Picture Effects
- Modifying Picture Size
- Compressing a Picture
- Correcting a Picture
- Recoloring a Picture
- Cropping and Rotating a Picture
- Removing a Picture Background
- Creating WordArt Text
- Formatting WordArt Text
- Applying WordArt Text Effects
- Modifying WordArt Text Position
- Creating SmartArt Graphics
- Formatting a SmartArt Graphic
- Modifying a SmartArt Graphic
- Adding Pictures to a SmartArt Graphic
- Creating an Organization Chart
- Inserting and Creating a Chart
- Changing a Chart Layout and Style
- Changing Chart Elements
- Formatting Line and Bar Charts
- Editing Chart Data
- Inserting Apps for Office Programs
Correcting a Picture
Once you have inserted a picture, you can control the image’s colors, brightness, and contrast using Picture tools. The brightness and contrast controls let you make simple adjustments to the tonal range of a picture. The brightness and contrast controls change a picture by an overall lightening or darkening of the image pixels. In addition, you can sharpen and soften pictures by a specified percentage. If you want to set unique or multiple options, you can use the Format Picture pane (New!). You can experiment with the settings to get the look you want. If you don’t like the look, you can use the Reset Picture button to return the picture back to its original starting point.
Change Brightness and Contrast or Sharpen and Soften
- Click the picture you want to change.
- Click the Format tab under Picture Tools.
Click the Corrections button, and then do one of the following:
- Brightness and Contrast. Click a brightness and contrast option.
- A positive brightness lightens the object colors by adding more white, while a negative brightness darkens the object colors by adding more black. A positive contrast increases intensity, resulting in less gray, while a negative contrast to decrease intensity, resulting in more gray.
- Sharpen and Soften. Click a sharpen and soften option.
- To set custom correction percentages, click the Corrections button, click Picture Corrections Options, specify the options you want in the Format Picture pane (New!), and then click the Close button in the pane.