Pottermore Secrets and Mysteries Revealed: Harry Potter Goes Interactive
- So, What's Pottermore Anyway?
- You Can Also Visit the Pottermore Shop
- How to Navigate Your Way Around Pottermore
- Your Adventure Is About to Begin
What started off as an international bestselling book series has grown into a global phenomenon. The best way to experience Harry Potter’s incredible adventures is to begin by reading the seven Harry Potter books, written by J.K. Rowling.
Then, you can relive Harry’s adventures by watching all eight blockbuster movies. Each is available separately on DVD, as a digital download, or on Blu-ray and will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Plus, if you visit the Universal Studios Orlando theme park in Orlando, Florida, you can literally step into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter for a truly breathtaking and immersive experience. At this theme park, you get a whirlwind tour of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a look at the Hogwarts Express, be able to walk through Diagon Alley, plus visit Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands.
If you happen to be in London, you can get a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the Harry Potter movies when you visit the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter attraction.
Or if you’re a gamer, you can take control of Harry Potter’s adventures at home by playing a series of action-packed video and computer games that are available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows PC, Wii, and Nintendo DS.
After you get to know Harry, Ron, Hermione, Professor Dumbledore, Hagrid, Lord Voldemort, and the rest of the incredible, unusual, and often heroic characters within the Harry Potter series, there are so many different ways to relive their adventures and, in some cases, create your own.
And then, there’s Pottermore! Anyone who can surf the Web, using a PC, Mac, or tablet, can visit www.Pottermore.com and experience Harry Potter’s adventures in a unique and highly interactive way.
So, What’s Pottermore Anyway?
J.K. Rowling herself has teamed up with a group of talented website designers, game developers, artists, and other technological geniuses to create an online world based faithfully on the Harry Potter books. This unique website is called Pottermore.
Pottermore isn’t an eBook, but it does highlight important scenes from every chapter of the Harry Potter books, and it enables you to delve much deeper into those scenes by reading exclusive information that J.K. Rowling has written and added only to the Pottermore website.
You can also read detailed descriptions of characters, creatures, magical objects, and enchanted items, plus many of the locations that were featured within the Harry Potter books.
These descriptions reveal previously unreleased details and convey J.K. Rowling’s personal thoughts and opinions, so you can discover things about Harry Potter’s world that were not included within the original books or movies.
Plus, as you’re making your way through Pottermore and experiencing each chapter of each book, two things happen at once. First, you follow in the footsteps of Harry, Ron, and Hermione and relive some of their awesome and magical adventures (in the order they happened within the Harry Potter books).
At the same time, however, your character within Pottermore has his own unique adventure, which you will help to control.
After establishing your Pottermore account, you have the chance to
- Obtain your own, unique magic wand from Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands.
- Select an animal avatar (an owl, cat, or toad) from Eeylops Owl Emporium & Magical Menagerie, which is located along Diagon Alley.
- Become a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, put on the Sorting Hat, and be placed into Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin.
- Collect dozens of items during your exploration.
- Cast spells with your unique magic wand.
- Participate in the Wizard’s Duel using your magic wand.
- Mix and brew magical potions.
- Earn house points based on your achievements and to help your house win the Pottermore House Cup.
- Share items and gifts with other Pottermore fans.
- Post your ideas and thoughts about Pottermore and the Harry Potter books so that other Harry Potter fans can discover what you think.
- Create and share your own Harry Potter-themed drawings and artwork.
Like the book series itself, Pottermore is divided into seven distinct areas, starting with Book 1, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Your online adventure begins in Book 1, Chapter 1, “The Boy Who Lived.”
When Pottermore was first launched, only Book 1 was unlocked. Over time, each additional area within Pottermore will become available, giving you access to all new adventures and challenges.
For example, Book 2, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was unlocked on Pottermore in mid-summer 2012. Before you can access it though, you have to unravel all the mysteries and collect all the hidden items within Book 1 (which this unofficial strategy guide will help you do).
One of the things you can do within Pottermore is learn how to brew potions, after finding or buying all the necessary ingredients.