- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Using the Ribbon
- Choosing Commands
- Opening and Viewing the Computer
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Sorting and Grouping Files
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folders
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Changing the Explorer Layout
File Explorer gives you the option to customize the layout for each Explorer window depending on the information the window contains. The layout for each Explorer window includes a Preview pane, Details pane, and Navigation pane. The Preview pane provides a preview of the selected item, such as a picture. The Details pane a thumbnail preview and information about the selected item, such as the file name, type, date modified, dimensions, size, and date created. The Navigation pane provides a tree structure to navigate folders and drives. The Details and Navigation panes appear by default. The Panes group on the View tab shows or hides the layout elements.
Change the Explorer Layout
- In the desktop, click or tap the File Explorer button on the taskbar.
- Open the folder window you want to change.
- Click or tap the View tab.
Select the layout pane button you want to show or hide: Preview Pane, Details Pane, or Navigation Pane (and then click or tap Navigation pane).
Layout options vary depending on the type of Explorer window.