- Why should database standards be implemented and what are the risks associated with their lack?
- What are the potential risks of upgrading to a new DBMS release without a plan?
- What is the difference between a version and a release of a DBMS?
- Name the three TPC benchmarks and describe how they differ from one another.
- Describe the four levels of DBMS architecture in terms of the type and nature of processing to which each is best suited.
- What are the factors to be considered when calculating total cost of ownership (TCO) for a DBMS?
- Name five requirements that must be planned for when installing a new DBMS.
- Describe the difference between software that supports a DBMS release and software that exploits a DBMS release.
- How many standard abbreviations should be supported for a single term? Why?
- What is wrong with the following SQL code for creating a relational table? (Do not approach this question from a syntax perspective; consider it, instead, in terms of database naming standards.)
CREATE TABLE tg7r5u99_p (c1 INTEGER NOT NULL, c2 CHAR(5) NOT NULL, c9 DATE) ;
Your DBMS vendor, MegaDataCorp, just announced the general availability of the latest and greatest version of MDC, the DBMS you use. MDC Version 9 supports several new features that your users and developers have been clamoring for over the past year. You are currently running MDC Version 7.3. Prepare a short paper discussing your plans for upgrading to MDC Version 9, and outline the potential benefits and risks of your upgrade plan.