- How to Find Your Customers on Social Media
- Check Your List with Gist
Check Your List with Gist
Gist is a service that works a lot like Rapportive, except that everything is done on the Gist website. Here are the steps to check your list with Gist:
- Set up an account on Gist. Then click the Account button, followed by Other Contacts. Upload your email list (CSV or TXT file). If you used Gmail in the previous section, or you use Outlook, upload that list on the Email & Calendar page, using your normal email program.
- Click the People tab, and then click the Importance link. This feature ranks people based on the number of email contacts and interactions you've had with them.
- Right-click the names of 10 or 20 people, and open them in tabs under your current one.
- Check out the page for each of these people, to see whether they belong to any social networks. After you close those tabs, open 10 or 20 more.
- Check at least 20% of your entire list, or everyone who has an Importance rating of more than 40%.
- Gist is also a little more thorough than Rapportive, so it will show you networks that are connected to those people. For example, an individual may show up on a blog post, in a Flickr photo, or even on a Facebook page of a coworker.
So, Was I Right?
Admittedly, these aren't the easiest ways to find out who is using social media. The best way is to actually join the different networks, import your email list, and see who's there. If it's at least 20% of your customer list, stay on that network, and start using it. Not only are your current customers there, but also your potential customers.
Social media is a growing phenomenon. As many as two-thirds of all Americans are already using some sort of social network. In other words, the odds that your customers are on any given network are basically two out of three. If you think they're not there, you're going to be surprised by what you find on Rapportive or Gist.