- Finding Information Using Spotlight
- Finding Information in the Spotlight Window
- Filtering Spotlight Results
- Grouping and Sorting Spotlight Results
- Working with Spotlight Results
- Setting Spotlight Preferences
- Searching for Files Using the Find Window
- Searching for Hard to Find Information
- Working with Find Window Results
- creating and Using Smart Folders
- Getting Help While You Work
- Getting Help Using Spotlight
Filtering Spotlight Results
If the list of Spotlight results is too long to find the results you want, you can revise your search text in the Search field or use the Search bar to filter, or narrow down, the list. The Search bar allows you to filter down the Spotlight results by location and type. The left side of the Search bar provides buttons to filter the search results by where the information is stored, such as This Mac (your entire computer), All My Files (your Home folder), or Shared (your networked computers), if available. After you select where, you can select how. You can filter the result by whether the search criteria is in the content of a file or the file name of the results. If you want to further narrow down the Spotlight results, you can add other search criteria using file attributes.
Filter Spotlight Results
Press bar or click Show All in Finder on the Spotlight menu to open the Spotlight window, and then perform or narrow a search.
The Spotlight window displays the results of your search by category.
- In the Search bar, click the button with the search location you want:
This Mac. Searches all the disks on your computer.
All My Files. Searches your Home folder.
- Server, Volume or Folder Name. Searches only the currently opened server, volume, or folder. The item name appears in quotes in the Search bar.
Shared. Searches shared folders on disks and computer.
- To clear a search, click the Close button (x) in the Search field.
Change Spotlight Criteria in the Spotlight Window
- Press bar or click Show All in Finder on the Spotlight menu to open the Spotlight window.
The Spotlight window opens, displaying the results of your search by category.
If a search is currently in progress, a sprocket icon whirls around in the upper-left corner of the window.
Click the Action button, and then click Show Search Criteria.
The Spotlight items option appears in the first Search pop-up, indicating Spotlight results in the window.
- Click the Add (+) button, and then specify the criteria you want.
Click the first Search pop-up of the second criteria item, and then select or type the search criteria.
- Select Other on the pop-up to display a complete list of searchable attributes.
- Click the second Search pop-up of the second criteria item, and then select or type more specific search criteria.
- To remove search criteria, click the Remove (-) button.
- Click the Action button, and then click Hide Search Criteria.
- To clear or stop a search, click the Close button (x) in the Search field.
- When you're done, click the Close button.