- Purchasing versus Renting on iTunes?
- Streaming Audio and Video Content from the Web
- Accessories to Help You Better Enjoy Entertainment on Your iPhone or iPad
Streaming Audio and Video Content from the Web
Using any of a handful of other apps, and with constant access to the Internet via a 3G or Wi-Fi connection, your iPhone or iPad is capable of streaming a vast selection of television and movie programming. When content is streamed from the web, a constant Internet connection is required, because no files are actually stored on your iPhone or iPad.
Keep in mind that streaming audio or video content from the Internet requires a lot of wireless data usage. If you're using a 3G connection through AT&T Wireless or Verizon, and you have a predetermined data usage allocation per month, this will quickly get used up streaming content from the Internet. However, using a Wi-Fi Internet connection, this is not a concern.
On your iPhone or iPad, the YouTube app comes preinstalled. This app allows you to watch an unlimited amount of streaming YouTube content, for free. Additional apps for streaming other types of content are available from the App Store. These apps also allow you to stream specific types of audio or video content directly from the Web.
Here's a sampling of the free apps that are available:
- Netflix: If you subscribe to the Netflix service, use this free app to stream unlimited TV episodes and movies available from the service's Watch Instantly library. Membership to the Netflix service starts at $7.99 per month.
- Hulu Plus: For $7.99 per month, you can watch an unlimited number of full-length movies or TV show episodes that can be streamed directly to your iPhone or iPad. Some Hulu content is also available for free.
- HBO Go: If you're an HBO subscriber, this new app (launched in May 2011), allows you to stream more than 1,700 HBO shows and movies directly to your iPhone or iPad.
- Sirius/XM Radio: For a flat monthly fee, you can listen to 120 channels of satellite radio as it gets streamed via the Internet to your iPhone or iPad. No additional receiver or equipment is required. If you're already a Sirius/XM subscriber, you'll pay an additional $2.99 per month to stream audio programming using this app.
Being able to watch your favorite TV shows or movies on demand at airports, from hotel rooms, on airplanes, at work, at home, or wherever you happen to be is just one way you can use your iPhone or iPad as a multipurpose entertainment device.