LinkedIn Jobs: Six Great New LinkedIn Features for Your Job Search
- 1. Use LinkedIn Sections to Draw Attention to Your Skills and Accomplishments
- 2. Create a Quick Resume from Your LinkedIn Profile with Resume Builder
- 3. Gather More Company Intelligence with the Enhanced LinkedIn Company Search
- 4. Find Connections at Top Companies with the Company Insider Widget
- 5. Check Out the New Jobs Tab for Your Favorite Groups
- 6. Visit LinkedIn's Job Portal for Students and Recent Graduates
If you use LinkedIn as a job search tool, you've probably already created a keyword-rich profile, searched for jobs on LinkedIn, and explored LinkedIn's Job Seeker accounts to see if they're a good match for you.
These are all great ways to find a job using LinkedIn, but they're just the beginning. In this article, I'll cover six new LinkedIn features and tools that enable you to enhance your profile even more, discover new connections at top companies, and re-energize your job search on LinkedIn.
1. Use LinkedIn Sections to Draw Attention to Your Skills and Accomplishments
LinkedIn now enables you to add sections to your profile that share information about your certifications, languages spoken, patents, publications, and skills. To add a section, select Edit Profile from the Profile drop-down menu on the global navigation bar. Then click the Add Sections link on the Edit Profile tab.
In the Add Sections dialog box, shown in Figure 1, you can add sections for any of the following to your LinkedIn profile:
- Certifications such as CPA (Certified Public Accountant), PMP (Project Management Professional), and so forth
- Foreign languages, including your proficiency level
- Any patent you hold as well as its status, title, and number
- Publications, including books and articles published, including a link to more information
- Professional skills and your proficiency level and years of experience with each (such as expert proficiency and 10 years' experience in Software Project Management)
Figure 1 Add sections to your profile to share more information about your achievements.
The Add Sections dialog box also offers a quick way to add applications to your profile. Applications of particular interest to job seekers include
- Box.net FilesPost documents to your profile, such as a PDF of your resume.
- Creative Portfolio DisplayShowcase your creative portfolio on your profile.
- SlideShare PresentationsPost your latest presentations, demonstrating your professional credibility and knowledge.
- WordPressPublish your blog posts to your profile.
Figure 2 shows an example of sections as they display on your profile.
Figure 2 Let prospective employers and clients know about your skills.