Specific Feature Tracking
Beyond the minimum items to track using analytics, you can also create numerous calls to track numerous activities from how many levels someone has achieved, to what specific features of your game they are using the most. Here are some suggestions of things you'll want to track in your game:
- Track menu usage to identify which areas of the menu are used most frequently. Track which options are set in the Options menu of the game and if they are changed at all (e.g., difficulty level adjusted or bonus switched from Instant to Double Tab).
- Count the number of specific events that occur during a session:
- How many levels are played more than once in the same session
- How many users die in each of the levels
- How many lives are used up in each level
- How many levels does a typical user get to before they die
- How many bonuses are achieved and by category: Health, Extra Life, Rockets, gun upgrades, invincibility, reflective shield, bombs, etc.?
- Time how long it takes the average user to complete each level of the game.
- List how often any of the following have controls have been changed in the app:
- Music muted/unmated
- Motion controls changed — accelerometer
- Difficulty levels achieved
- Levels abandoned
- List any errors that occur in the app and report back.
Both Flurry and Tapjoy provide free use of their analytics agents in your app. Both are easy to install and implement as part of your app, and will help you deliver a better product, keep tabs on what features are being used the most, and how many sessions are being opened each and every minute of the day. Having this kind of data at your fingertips through their websites is a must, in my opinion.