Reading a NOOKkids eBook
To open a book, tap the book’s cover in the library. Essentially, there are two type of books that you are read in NOOK for Kids app: Your traditional young children’s book with a focus on images as well as text and more straightforward texts, like The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. We’ll cover both here, but let’s focus first on the former.
Reading NOOKbooks for Kids
These books, such as The Elephant’s Child: How the Elephant Got His Trunk, always open and are read in landscape view (i.e., wider rather than taller). Many of these books have the Read to Me feature available (these books are labeled as NOOKkids read to me on BN.com).
When you open these types of books, you are presented with two options: Read by Myself and Read to Me (see Figure 5). If the book is not a NOOKkids read to me book, then you only have the option Read by Myself. Read by Myself means just that: no audio reading of the book will happen.
Figure 5 The opening page for a NOOKkids Read to Me ebook.
If you choose Read to Me, as you advance from page to page, you will hear a person reading the text to you. You can pause the text and you can replay the text. If you do not make a choice and flip to the first page of the book, the default is Read to Me.
The basics are this: To advance a page, swipe the screen from right to left. To go back to a previous page, swipe the screen from left to right. Double-tapping the text places the text in a balloon and you have a play button at the corner of the text (see Figure 6). Tapping this play button reads that portion of the text. If the button has a square in it, tapping that pauses the reading. If you chose Read to Myself, you can double-tap the text and press the play button to have it read the recording to you.
Figure 6 You can replay specific portions of the text.
Using the Reading Options
As you read these books, you will notice a downward arrow button at the bottom of the page. If you tap this, a variety of reading options appears at the bottom of the page and thumbnails of the pages appear (see Figure 7).
Figure 7 Options available while reading.
- Library: Tap Library to go back to your B&N library.
- Play/Pause: Plays or pauses the reading for that page. If you chose Read to Myself, this option does not appear here (but you can double-tap the text and choose the play button to play the recording).
- Pages: Tap this to hide the thumbnails if they are visible or show them if they are hidden
- Brightness: Adjust the brightness of the screen
- Thumbnails: The current page you are on is marked with a blue outline. Press, hold, and drag the thumbnails back and forth to scroll through them. Tap a thumbnail to advance to that page. As you scroll, you will see a small light grey bar increase or decrease as you advance or retreat through the thumbnails. This is an indication of your overall location in the book.