- Introducing Google Sites
- Creating, Formatting, and Customizing a Web Site
- Choose a Page Type
- Manage Pages Within a Site
- Embedding Documents, Gadgets, and Media in a Site
- Sharing, Publishing, and Protecting a Site
- Using Sites to Manage Your Class
- Gadget Gallery and Development
- Passing the Google Sites Exam
Like this article? We recommend
Choose a Page Type
Choose a Page Type
Sites are composed of pages, and pages generally follow the theme you've selected for the site. In some cases, such as when you didn't select a theme, but used a blank template, you'll want to edit the pages. Each page within a site can be based on a template and for this exam you should know the characteristics of each of the page templates.
Don't worry, these templates are easy to remember:
- Web pageJust a blank, unstructured page that you'll create all by yourself. You can create a template for the page and save it for others to use if you'd like to.
- Start pageLike the concept of a home page, but a start page has a special area where readers of the start page can add their own personalized set of gadgets such as a calendar or RSS feeds.
- Announcement pageThis template is ideal for school-wide announcements, newsletters, or news updates such as weather closings for schools or other information. The announcement page can also create an RSS so followers can see updates through their RSS feed without having to visit the actual URL.
- File cabinet pageImagine a web page that you'd upload from your computer to organize all your documents, reports, spreadsheets, pictures, and other materials onthat's a file cabinet page. Keep in mind, however, that this isn't for documents created in Google Docs; it's for files that are on your hard drive that you'll upload to a file cabinet page.
- List pageA list page is just what it sounds like: a page that has lists of information. Consider project status, rosters, students' roles, and vocabulary lists. Some of the lists can have limited interaction, such as updates on status for reports, but this is a basic list of information.