Make the Connection
So far we’ve looked at how Outlook connects to networks and displays updates. Before you install the provider, the People Pane is limited to displaying only Outlook-related information about the contact such as e-mails, attachments, meetings, and so on (see Figure 2).
Figure 2 The email message before connecting to LinkedIn.
Now, we’ll step through the process of installing the LinkedIn social network provider and viewing updates in Outlook:
- Download and install the LinkedIn add-in for Outlook.
- Click the button labeled Download It Now.
- Click Run on the File Download dialog. This opens the LinkedIn Outlook Connector Setup wizard.
- Click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, click I Agree.
- On the choose Install Location page, click Install. You may see an additional prompt dialog; click OK.
- On the final page, click Finish to complete the installation and exit the wizard.
- If you already have another social network provider installed, the Microsoft Outlook Social Network Accounts form appears. If this form does not appear, open it by clicking View > People Pane > Account Settings.
- This opens a wizard to connect Outlook to your online social networks. Click Next on the Social Network Accounts screen.
- Click the LinkedIn checkbox. Enter your user name and password, and then click Connect. Typically, your LinkedIn user name is your e-mail address. If you’re not sure what e-mail address is associated with your LinkedIn account, you can go to LinkedIn and check.
- Click Finish. A screen appears after you successfully connect. Click Close.
Now that you have installed a social network provider and connected to that network through Outlook, you can see updates for people with whom you have exchanged e-mail, set up meetings, or added to your contacts (see Figure 3).
Figure 3 The email message after connecting to LinkedIn.