8. Customize Friends Using Lists
You can group your friends into lists, which is particularly useful if you have hundreds of them on Facebook. For example, you may have a list for family and another for close friends, and still another list filled with work associates. Lists can help you control which group of people sees what on your profile. For example, if you took a family vacation and posted an album, you may not want people from work viewing the photos. If you have a list for family members and another for coworkers, you can specify which group has access to your vacation album.
To create a friends list:
- Display your profile page click the See All link in your Friends box located on the left side of the page.
- Click the Create a List button at the top of the page.
- If you've already created a list previously, you can click the Create New List button to start a brand-new list.
- In the Create New List box, type a name for the new list and press Enter or Return (see Figure 8).
- You can scroll through and click on people you want to add to the new list, or you can type their names in the field at the top of the box.
- When you finish adding friends to the list, click the Create List button. After you create a new list, Facebook saves it and displays it on your Friends page in the left pane area. To view the list, simply click the list name.
You can easily add names to a list, or remove names, or get rid of the entire list when you no longer need it. The list is just for you; no one else can see your lists. Once you’ve created a list, you can use it anytime you want to customize who sees information. For example, to customize who sees a photo album, check out tip #6 and use the Customize option to open the Custom Privacy dialog box, and type in the list name under the Make This Visible To setting.
With a little common sense and these eight steps, you can create a safer, more secure environment for your own social networking activities.