Installing the SharePoint Server Operating System
After the edition of the server OS has been chosen, it must be installed on the SharePoint server. As previously mentioned, this step by step assumes that a single all-in-one SharePoint server will be set up and deployed.
The Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system encompasses a myriad of new technologies and functionality, more than can be covered in this book. If additional reading on the capabilities of the operating system is wanted, the recommended reference is Windows Server 2008 R2 Edition Unleashed, from Sams Publishing.
Installing Windows Server 2008 R2
This chapter assumes installation of SharePoint on the latest version of Windows Server, the 2008 R2 version. Installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 is extremely straightforward and takes approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour to complete. Microsoft has built the installation process to be nearly touch-free. Simply accept the defaults for any SharePoint server—there is no need to choose any custom installation settings. The high-level steps involved are as follows:
- Install Windows Server 2008 R2 with the defaults.
- Activate the server.
- Install any server-specific tools required.
- Patch and update the operating system.
- Add the server to an Active Directory domain.
- Copy the SharePoint 2010 binaries local to the server (recommended).
- Copy the SQL Server 2008 R2 binaries local (if installing the database role).