This chapter is from the book
Why Analyze Website Traffic?
If you run a website, why might you want to employ web analytics?
It's simple: Web analytics helps you better understand the visitors to your site. Analytics tracks visitor behavior, so that you have a better idea what your site's visitors are doing—and why. With the right analytics package, you can discover the following:
- How many visitors your site attracts.
- Where your visitors came from—which sites directed the most traffic to your site, as well as where geographically your visitors are located.
- How long visitors are staying on your site.
- What pages visitors visit first—and which they visit last before they leave.
- If visitors came to your site from a search engine, what keywords they searched that brought up your site in their search results.
- If visitors came to your site from an advertisement, where that ad was placed—and what percentage of visitors who clicked on your ad viewed key pages or completed transactions.
- What types of web browsers your visitors are using—so you can better design your site to look good with those browsers.