- Understanding Vector and Raster Graphics
- Understanding Paths
- Selecting a Drawing Mode
- Creating Pixel Aligned Objects
- Creating Rectangles and Ellipses
- Creating Polygons and Stars
- Creating Line Segments
- Creating Arcs and Spirals
- Creating Grids
- Using the Shape Builder Tool
- Creating Perspective Objects
- Working with Perspective Objects
- Customizing a Perspective Grid
- Understanding Selections
- Using the Selection Tool
- Using the Direct Selection Tool
- Using the Lasso Tool
- Using the Magic Wand Tool
- Selecting and Grouping Objects
- Selecting Similar Objects
- Saving and Editing Selections
- Moving Objects
- Duplicating Objects
- Aligning and Distributing Objects
- Transforming Objects
- Using the Free Transform Tool
- Rotating and Scaling Objects
- Reflecting and Shearing Objects
- Applying Multiple Transformations
- Reshaping Objects with Envelopes
Rotating and Scaling Objects
After you create an object, you can change its orientation by rotating it or change its size by scaling it. For a freeform rotation, when you want to rotate the object in other than 90 or 180 degree increments, you can use the Rotate tool. To resize an object, either smaller or larger, you can use the Scale tool. With either tool, you can transform the object from its center or the reference point. To rotate or scale an object using exact values or percentages, use the Transform panel, which is available on the Control panel or Window menu.
Rotate or Scale an Object
- Select the Selection tool on the Tools panel.
- Select one or more objects to transform.
- Select the Rotate or Scale tool on the Tools panel.
- To move the reference point, click a new point.
- Use the appropriate method:
Rotate. Drag in a circular motion. To rotate in 45 degree increments, Shift-drag.
Scale. Drag away from or toward the object. Shift-drag to scale proportionally; hold down Alt (Win) or Option (Mac), and then drag to scale from the center. Also hold down Shift to scale from the center proportionally.
Scale and Flip. Drag across the entire object.
Scale and Copy. Hold down Alt+Shift (Win) or Option+Shift (Mac), and then drag.
- To rotate or scale an object using exact values or percentages, select the Transform panel.