- Requirements for a Homegroup
- Preparing to Set Up a Homegroup
- Creating a Homegroup
- Adding Computers to a Homegroup
- Accessing Homegroup-Shared Libraries
- Changing Homegroup Sharing Settings
- Using Homegroup-Shared Printers
- Changing Homegroup Settings
- Leaving the Homegroup
- Diagnosing Homegroup Problems
Diagnosing Homegroup Problems
To diagnose homegroup problems, run the HomeGroup troubleshooter. You can start it from the Change Homegroup Settings link in Figures 19 and 26. In this example, we're using the troubleshooter to determine why we cannot see other computers in the homegroup.
- After the HomeGroup troubleshooter starts, click Next (Figure 28).
- If you know that the network is working properly (for example, if all computers on the network can connect to the Internet), click Skip This Step (Figure 29).
- After the troubleshooter applies some solutions, you will see the dialog shown in Figure 30. Retry the operation (in this example, I tried viewing other computers in the homegroup from Explorer). Click Yes, The Problem Is Solved if the problem is solved and go to Step 4a. If the problem was not solved, click No, the Problem Is Not Solved and go to Step 4b.
- 4a. If you selected Yes… in Step 3, the troubleshooter displays a dialog similar to the one in Figure 31. The dialog displays the changes made. Click Close the Troubleshooter to close the troubleshooter. You're finished!
- Click Next to continue.
- The troubleshooter provides a possible solution (Figure 33). In this example, I clicked Yes… because I discovered the other computer wasn't turned on and set to share content through the homegroup.
- If you click Yes in Step 6, a dialog similar to the one shown in Figure 31 appears. Click Close. If you click No in Step 6, the process continues.
Figure 28 The initial dialog of the HomeGroup troubleshooter.
Figure 29 Selecting whether to check for network problems first.
Figure 30 Problem solved or not? You decide!
Figure 31 Problem solved? Close the troubleshooter.
4b. I selected No… in Step 3 because I still could not see other computers in the homegroup. The troubleshooter then asks for more specifics about the problem (Figure 32). I selected the first problem (Some Homegroup Computers Aren't Visible). You can only choose one problem.
Figure 32 Selecting a problem to help the troubleshooter provide a solution.
Figure 33 Problem solved? Click Yes!