- Secure Your Private Network
- Protect Your Hotspot Users
- To Cover Large or Busy Areas, Consider Creating a Wi-Fi Mesh Network
- Place the Hotspot Gateway in a Central Spot
- Use an Identifying Network Name (SSID)
- Discover the Hotspot-Specific Firmware Replacement: CoovaAP
- Possibly Use a General Firmware Replacement
- Look into Using the Sputnik Service
- Look into 802.1X Authentication and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise Encryption
- Consider ZoneCD if You Have an Old PC Lying Around
Consider ZoneCD if You Have an Old PC Lying Around
If you have a spare computer, you can turn it into a hotspot gateway. ZoneCD is a Linux-based live CD that runs on generic computers and works with any wireless router or AP to provide public and private access.
Your Intel-compatible PC needs only 128 MB of RAM, a bootable CD-ROM drive, a floppy or USB drive, and two Ethernet network adapters.