- 1. NetStumbler: To Find Nearby Networks
- 2. Network Magic: For an Easier Networking Experience
- 3. DD-WRT: To Super Charge Your Cheap Wireless Router
- 4. Wireshark (Previously Ethereal): To See the Raw Traffic
- 5. TeamViewer: For Remote Desktopping
- 6. NetSetMan: To Manage Your Network Settings
- 7. LogMeIn Hamachi: To Create a Secure VPN
- 8. Gbridge: To Securely Share Among Friends
- 9. Hotspot Shield: To Secure Your Wi-Fi in Public
- 10. Undelete: So Network Shares Can Use the Recycle Bin
3. DD-WRT: To Super Charge Your Cheap Wireless Router
This isn't a program to install onto your computer; it is replacement firmware you can upload onto supported wireless routers.
DD-WRT gives you improved and new features, plus advanced ones that are usually available only in enterprise-class equipment.
Example include multiple SSIDs so you can offer varying encryption methods to the same or segregated networks and a built-in VPN client and server so you can securely connect offices together or offer connections to remote users.