- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Opening and Viewing the Computer
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Performing an Instant Search
- Performing an Advanced Search
- Performing Natural Language Searches
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folder
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
This chapter is from the book
Changing Search Options
When you perform a search for files or folders, Windows 7 uses the search options to help customize the search results. You can specify whether you want to search for file names and content or just for file names and whether to include subfolders or find partial matches. For non-indexed searches, you can set options to include system directories or compressed files (ZIP, CAB...). The search options are available in the Folder Options dialog box under the Search tab.
Change Search Options
- Click the Start button, and then click Documents.
- Click the Organize button on the toolbar, and then click Folder and search options.
- Click the Search tab.
- Select the What to search option you want.
- Select or clear the check boxes under How to search:
- Include subfolders in search results when searching in file folders.
- Find partial matches.
- Use natural language search.
- Don’t use the index when searching in file folders for system files (searches might take longer).
- Select or clear the check boxes under When searching non-indexed locations:
- Include system directories.
- Include compressed files (ZIP, CAB, ...)
- Click OK.