Here are some general guidelines for better landscape photos:
- White balance: Daylight (preferred) or Auto
- ISO: Up to 400
- Suggested modes: Aperture Priority (A, Av)
- Shutter speed: Set automatically by camera
- Aperture: f/1.8 to f/5.6 (selective focus on details); f/5.6 or narrower (overall shot in focus)
- Scene mode: Auto, Beach, Snow as needed
- Zoom: As needed
- Notes: Shoot before 11 a.m. or after 2 p.m. for the best light. Use a tripod or image stabilization (IS) to prevent camera shake.
The light is lower in the morning and afternoon, and it can provide some outstanding "spotlight" effects, as shown in Figure 7.8.
Figure 7.8 The low sun angle brings out the details of the dog and the dog walkers (f/16, 1/60 second, ISO 200, 2x zoom).
Figure 7.9 The sun is to the left of the towboat, so the entire side of the boat is in shadow.
Figure 7.10 Wait just a few seconds, though, and the same subject provides a dramatic mix of light and shadows.