- Setting General Preferences
- Setting Desktop View Preferences
- Sorting Lists
- Displaying Lists on Forms
- Adding Accounts
- Using Account Numbers
- Adding Customers
- Displaying Detailed Customer Information
- Adding Vendors
- Adding Items
- Adding Information "On-the-Fly"
- Moving Items on a List
- Creating Subitems
- Editing Information on a List
- Hiding Entries on Lists
- Deleting Entries on a List
- Merging Entries on a List
- Printing Lists
- Searching for Transactions
- Generating a QuickReport
- Setting Accounting Preferences
Vendors are businesses and people who regularly sell you goods and services. When you enter vendor information in QuickBooks, you have all the details you need to contact your vendors, prepare purchase forms, process year-end 1099 forms, write checks, and create reports of your company’s spending.
Enter Vendor Address Information
- Click the Vendor Center button on the toolbar. In the Vendor Center, select the Vendors tab. Click the New Vendor button at the top of the Vendor list to open the New Vendor window.
- Enter a name for the vendor. This is the name you will use to select the vendor from your vendor list. It doesn’t have to be the name printed on vendor forms or checks.
- If a balance is due to this vendor at your company’s QuickBooks start date, enter the amount and the start date in the Opening Balance field.
- Enter the vendor’s legal name in the Company Name field. This is the name that appears on forms you prepare for this vendor.
- Enter the name of a personal contact, if applicable, and the mailing address of the vendor.
- Enter other pertinent information that you want to save.
- If there is a name other than the Company Name that needs to appear on checks to this vendor, enter that name in the space provided.
Enter Additional Vendor Information
- Click the Additional Info tab to access another page of information for the vendor.
- Enter an account number. This is the number that this vendor has assigned to your company. If you print your checks from your QuickBooks program, the account number appears on the memo line of the checks.
- For categorizing purposes, enter the type of goods or service you acquire from this vendor in the Type field.
- In the Terms field, enter the terms your vendor has given you, if applicable. The payment terms you enter allow your QuickBooks program to calculate the due date of payments owed to this vendor.
- If the vendor has assigned a credit limit to your account, enter that amount in the Credit Limit field.
- If you are required to supply this vendor with a 1099 form, check the Vendor Eligible for 1099 box and enter the vendor’s tax identification number.
- You can use the Define Fields button to create new fields that are customized to your business needs.
- Click OK to complete the entries for this vendor.