- Optimizing Photoshop
- Setting General Preferences
- Modifying File Handling Preferences
- Working with Interface Preferences
- Working with Cursors Preferences
- Controlling Transparency & Gamut Preferences
- Working with Units & Rulers
- Working with Guides, Grid & Slices
- Selecting Plug-Ins
- Selecting Scratch Disks
- Allocating Memory & Image Cache
- Working with Type
- Managing Libraries with the Preset Manager
- Customizing the Workspace
- Defining Shortcut Keys
- Creating a Customized User Interface
- Using Drawing Tablets
Working with Guides, Grid & Slices
The Guides, Grid & Slices preferences help keep a multilayered document in proper order. For example, using Guides can help you line up buttons on a web interface, or make sure specific design elements are precisely placed within the document window. The Guides option lets you select the color and style of the guides placed within a Photoshop document. Guides are placed within the image by dragging them from the horizontal or vertical Ruler bars in the active document. The Grid options let you decide on a color, style, and layout for Photoshop’s grid system. The Slices option defines the visible color of a slice, and whether Photoshop displays a number value for each slice.
Work with Guides, Grid & Slices Options
- Click the Edit (Win) or Photoshop (Mac) menu, and then point to Preferences.
- Click Guides, Grid & Slices.
- Select the Guides options you want to use:
Color. Select a default color for displaying guides.
Style. Select a default (Lines or Dashed Lines) for displaying guidelines.
- Select the Smart Guides options you want to use:
Color. Select a color for use with Smart Guides.
- Select the Grid options you want to use:
Color. Select a default color for displaying grids.
Style. Select a default style (Lines, Dashed Lines, or Dots) for displaying the grid.
Gridline Every. Enter a value for how often the grid lines appear within the active document.
Subdivisions. Enter a value for how many subdivisions (lines) appear between each main gridline.
- Select the Slices options you want to use:
Line Color. Select a default line color for displaying document slices.
Show Slice Numbers. Select the check box to display a number for each slice in the upper left corner of the slice.
- Click OK.